AeroShell Turbine Oil 555
AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 is an advanced 5mm2/s synthetic hindered ester oil incorporating a finely balanced blend of additives to improve thermal and oxidation stability and to increase the load carrying ability of the base oil.
Detailed Product Description
AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 was specifically developed to meet the high temperatures and load carrying requirements of SST engines and the DEF STAN 91-100 (formerly DERD 2497) and XAS-2354 specifications. AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 was also designed to give enhanced performance in current engines.
More recently with the need to transmit more power and higher loads through helicopter transmission and gearbox systems (many helicopters use a synthetic turbine engine oil in the transmission/gearbox system) it has become apparent that the use of a very good load carrying oil, such as AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 is necessary. This in turn has led to the development of a U.S. Military Specification, DOD-L-85734, which covers a helicopter transmission oil against which AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 is fully approved.
AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 contains a synthetic ester oil and should not be used in contact with incompatible seal materials and it also affects some paints and plastics.
Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
- Approved DOD-PRF-85734A (US)
- Approved DEF STAN 91-100 (British)
- Note: both UK and US production are manufactured to the same formulation.
- NATO Code O-160
- Joint Service Designation OX-26
- Pratt & Whitney : Approved 521C Type II
- General Electric : Approved D-50 TF 1
- Allison : Approved EMS-53 (Obsolete)
- AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 is approved for use in all models of the following engines:
- Honeywell : Auxiliary Power Units GTCP 30, 36, 85, 331, 660 and 700 series
- General Electric : CT58, CT64, CF700, CJ610
- Motorlet : MD601D, E and Z
- Pratt & Whitney : JT3, JT4, JT8, JT9, JT12, PW4000
- Pratt & Whitney Canada : ST6, PW200
- Rolls-Royce : Gem, Gnome, M45H, Olympus 593, RB199
- Turbomeca : Adour
- AeroShell Turbine Oil 555 is approved for an increasing number of helicopter transmissions, whilst details are listed below, it is important that operators check latest status with the helicopter manufacturer. In all cases it is important to check compatibility with seals used in the transmission/ gearbox.
- US Military : Approved for helicopter transmission specification DOD-PRF-85734A
- Eurocopter : Approved for Super Puma, for other helicopters check with Eurocopter
- Agusta : Approved for A109 and A129 models, for other models check with Agusta
- Bell Helicopter Textron : Approved for all Bell turbine engined powered helicopters
- Boeing Vertol : Approved for Chinook
- McDonnell Douglas : Approved
- MBB : Approved
- Sikorsky : Approved for S-61N (note other types such as the S-70 and S-76 do not use synthetic turbine oils in the transmission)
- Westland Helicopters : Approved for some models